Thursday 26 May 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 88) - UNMARKED YELLOW BOX

SLIDES 0600-0602

Ah, now... I think that these three pictures return us to the Isle of Man and whilst the first and third don't really tell us very much other than this is possibly where some friends of my Grandparents probably lived, the middle one is mildly more interesting for anyone who is at least vaguely interested in such things.

I believe that the outermost boat of the three that you can see tied up together at the quayside is the Port Erin lifeboat and consequently, I think that it can reasonably be presumed that this photograph (or these photographs) are of Port Erin.

I know that this is the case because they used to talk about Port Erin a lot and, when I saw this photograph as I was scanning them, I suddenly recalled quite a lot of talk about its lifeboats when I was growing up.

Can't think why, really. For most of the year my Grandparents were almost as land-locked as I was, but I do seem to have grown up with a lot of respect for the RNLI and all that it does, and still can't go to the seaside without popping into the local RNLI shop and/or lifeboat station if I happen across one.

Perhaps rather naively, during the initial phases of this entire scanning project, when I discovered this and the other two lifeboat pictures that feature in the collection, I rather excitedly tried to send them to the RNLI via various forms of social media because I thought they might just be slightly interested in them from a historical point of view.

Rather naturally on reflection, they didn't seem to be. They are, I presume, far more interested in saving lives than adding to a whole archive of pictures that presumably millions of eager snappers have sent them over the years.

Anyway, if you like the occasional lifeboat picture (two more will appear at some point, remember), or just think that the RNLI is a pretty good thing, please feel free to make a donation any time.





1 comment:

  1. Of course at the time these snaps meant something to those involved. But I have to wonder if people looking at my shit in the future won't understand what I was saying without the context of a few words on the experience I was experiencing.

    ReplyDelete