Tuesday 3 May 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 65) - MYSTERIOUS BLUE BOX

SLIDES 0517-0518

Two more random shots that were next up in the mysterious blue box and which tell me nothing in particular.

Flowers did tend to feature rather hugely in my Grandparents' (and, to a certain extent, my mother's) lives, as tokens of affection or importance. But, for such a relatively large selection of arrangements to be collected together at one time, and for them to be considered worthy of being recorded photographically, then I can only suspect that these were to commemorate some "significant" date or other.

Probably an anniversary or a birthday, I suppose...

I can imagine them looking at the slides and almost hear one or other of them saying "Oh, those were the flowers we got from for..." but, as it must ever be, it seems, the ellipsis remains unknowable.

They might be what were sent to acknowledge some death or other in the family, but even in those grey, drab, post-war 1950s, they do seem to be a trifle too jolly for that.

Still times, moods, and a sense of what's "appropriate" do change, so you never know.

The second picture shows the farmland or field that abutted onto my Grandparents' garden in the days when they had the Big House. This picture is either a "Look at what they're doing" or "What the heck are they doing?!" picture of the foundations being put in for the stables which were eventually built there.

Of course, as far as the as-yet-unborn version of me was ever concerned, those stables had always been there whenever I got to visit the Big House, so it's interesting to discover their origins and realise that there was a time when they were nothing but an idea in someone's head.



1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 03, 2016

    The stables were built for the quite famous show-jumper, Janet Smythe, and the grey horse I spent so many summer days with was a mare called Sahlia. Janets other horse, also a grey, was a gelding called Romanus. I don't remember the stables being built either - that was before my time too! As to the flowers, who knows!!

    ReplyDelete