Friday 20 May 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 82) - UNMARKED YELLOW BOX

SLIDES 0583-0584

I know very little about the Isle of Man, other than that my Grandparents went there quite a lot over the course of several years. 

Anyway, with a little bit of guesswork, and by identifying the distinctive round building on the top of that pier, I'm guessing that this is Douglas and that's probably a Manx ferry tied up at the dockside.

For a while, I did think that it must be Port Erin, because that's where their friends who lived there used to live. You know, I thought that the word "Port" might be significant in some way, but I imagine that it was far smaller a place than this is.

I used to know someone who's father was a Manxman and he was called Douglas. I wonder how common that is?

"What will we call the bairn...?"

"Well, the town's got a name that's the same as a person's name, so maybe...?"

Meanwhile the little beige(ish) Morris and/or Austin 1100 tootling up the road in the second picture looks not unlike the one my friend Mike had stolen in Cardiff when we were students. This picture was probably taken at least a decade before that dark day, of course, but for those of us who like to believe in the interconnectedness of all things, it would be nice to find out that it was exactly the same car...




2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 20, 2016

    The Grandparents used to visit their friends - Frank and Margaret Smith, in the Isle of Man, and they lived in Douglas!! I've never been. Maybe one day - it's on my bucket list!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think Jake the Peg when I read Isle of Man. Must stop that, it's a bit like thinking Gary when I read the word glittering.

    ReplyDelete