Monday 23 May 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 85) - UNMARKED YELLOW BOX

SLIDE 0592

A floral display.

In a room.

Somewhere.

Yeah...

Actually, perhaps I could claim a little foreknowledge here, or at least make some vaguely educated guesses as to what this is about. Even though this single picture features just after a small collection of garden flower pictures and before (spoiler alert!) a selection of photographs from some sort of flower festival, I suspect that it is related to neither.

Later on (or was it earlier, I begin to lose track) in the whole sort of general mish-mash of scanning random boxes of pictures from my Grandparents' lives, I did come across a set from something referred to as a "Ladies' Evening" which presumably took place at the mysterious "Lodge" that I believe my Grandfather used to at least play the piano for, but several years earlier than this picture appears to be from.

At that one he appears (gawd 'elp us), to be some sort of M.C. for the thing, but the room looks very similar to this one, and those canvas and steel-tubed chairs also look terribly familiar.

Anyway, I guess that these are something to do with something similar to one of those kinds of events, and my Grandmother was always terribly impressed by floral displays and probably insisted that my Grandfather took a picture of this lot for posterity, all of which is now, of course, lost forever in the mists of time.

In later years, or perhaps earlier, or maybe even at around the same time, my mother worked for a while as a florist at the Piccadilly Hotel in Manchester. As a seven-year-old, and during the school holidays, (just ever-so-slightly before I got my own front door key to let myself in after school at age eight), I would sometimes have to go with her to work as there was no childcare option, and remember going out of the fire escape door playing on the flat roof of the hotel for most of the day.

Not the high roof, just the one off the third floor, above the shops, overlooking the bus station, and below where the hotel's main tower starts.

Happy days...


2 comments:

  1. Maybe a sacrificial alter to some flower nymph?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 23, 2016

    Our Grandfather was Grand Master of the Hyde Masonic Masons Lodge. Dad hated that as it really went against the grain for him, especially as him and Mum were expected to attend the various functions including the oh so special "Ladies Night". Fortunately I was too young!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete