Saturday 7 May 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 69) - MYSTERIOUS BLUE BOX

SLIDES 0526-0533

As usual, I know absolutely nothing at all about this trip, other than the fact that it's got some German signage and that means I'm guessing that it's either a return visit to Switzerland, or the same trip interrupted by some bizarre ordering policy that only my Grandfather probably understood.

Anyway, those cars outside the Johannishof look absolutely gorgeous to these jaded, modern-era, "all cars look the same these days" eyes, and once again I am drawn like catnip towards pictures of "old-style" cafes.

Finally, we are presented with a picture of what must be the Hotel Adler, where I'm guessing that they stayed.

Again, I know next to nothing about this (I do, after all, know what it looks like at least), but there's a quite well-known Irene Adler in the Sherlock Holmes stories, so I find myself hoping that they are actually at Reichenbach, although I'm possibly being hopelessly romantic with that notion.

Then again, of course, there's the infamous "Schloss Adler" that features so prominently in "Where Eagles Dare" - but I'm pretty certain that this building is very much not the proverbial "it..."










2 comments:

  1. Donaueschingen in the Black Forrest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.yelp.de/biz/hengstler-cafehaus-donaueschingen

    ReplyDelete