Friday 21 October 2016

UBERTAXI

UBERTAXI

Relax, the future’s on its way,
Surely the future is now here
The future is just over there
One dark night on lurking street
I saw the future picking up a fare

Etched with four dark letters
UBER where TAXI ought to be
Future’s dark shape floats along
One white eye glowing on its roof
All that I once knew now seems wrong

Some TAXIs now say UBER
On that sign up on their roofs
That floating word spoke volumes
A bright sign of the changing times
Telling us how this world now consumes

This modern world confuses
I’m not sure I understand it
Do they track your phone by Radar?
Some geopositional jiggery-pokery
App somehow delivers you a car

I’m suspicious of this future
This future just worries me
Since so many TV script writers
Seeking out new ways of killing
For a while used facsimile UBERs

Is an UBER not a TAXI?
Is a TAXI not an UBER?
Can a car arriving with a driver
Only be one but not the other
Or be both, or perhaps neither?

I was disappointed by my first UBER
That UBER left me underwhelmed
In my mind what ought to have stopped
Was some kind of silver sci-fi pod
Not just a car with a lamp on top

Relax, the future’s on its way,
Surely my future’s is pulling up
The brave new world’s arrived
On the dark street outside
I’m wondering if I’ll survive?


Martin A W Holmes, October 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment