Saturday 22 October 2016

POETRY AS THERAPY

POETRY AS THERAPY

If you ask me why I do this
Herding words to place them here
I’m finding it simply therapeutic
Poems make my mind more clear

I’m less angry of an evening
Blurting all that raw pain out
Writing poetry as therapy
Far better than needing to shout

I’m not trying to sell my words
I’m not trying to sell myself
The best thing about this therapy
Is I’m just doing it for itself

I’m less angry in the office
Festering poison gets unraged
My dreadful poetry is therapy
When it’s splashed out on a page

So you ask me why I do this
Questions come as some surprise
Even if no-one bothers to read them
Just writing poetry satisfies

I’m more contented with this life
As thinking can be quite visceral
Writing poetry as therapy’s
Far better than cures medicinal

Lose those ideas of perfection
Lose all those dreams of wealth
See if bad doggerel as therapy
Is good for your mental health



Martin A W Holmes, October 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment