Saturday 29 October 2016

RED BULL NIGHTS

RED BULL NIGHTS

The notorious insomniac working a bar
Notices we’ve got in these new soft drinks
“These look exciting! What exactly are they?”
In such pretty cans looking pretty grown up

“Why don’t you try one?” She asks
“Okay, thanks, I’ll try a Red Bull”

The infamous insomniac facing a long shift
Finds the stuff in those cans is really quite tasty
The punters coming in with a long night ahead
Ordering their rounds before the curtain lifts

“And have one yourself” They say
“Oh thanks, I’ll have a Red Bull”

With a long lull in prospect before the first act
We’ve washed up and stacked up all the used glasses
It’s too early to set out interval refreshments
Time to indulge in a moment of peace

“So, what you drinking?” I’m asked
“Oh thanks, I’ll have a Red Bull”

Interval comes I’ve still not read the label
I’m oblivious to that high caffeine content
At half-time it’s swift rounds that they’re buying
Including their new mate, the guy serving them

“And have one yourself” He says
“Oh thanks, I’ll have a Red Bull”

After-show drinking is so very sociable
Especially on the last night of a show
Thanks to be given; awards being presented
I’ll be lucky if I’ll get home by two

“Do you want a drink?” She asks
“Oh thanks, I’ll have a Red Bull”

Cashing up, locking up, a long night nearly over
Need to sleep! Need to sleep! Got up so early!
Revving at the lights, heart palpitating wildly
Then staring at the ceiling the rest of the night

“God! What have I done?” I ask
Shouldn’t have had eight cans of Red Bull


Martin A W Holmes, October 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment