Sunday 9 October 2016

BENCHED

BENCHED

I headed up the hill before dawn
To sit at my usual tranquil spot
My occasional morning bench
Only this time a mourning bench
With someone’s leftover cigarette
Break detritus scattered around

One empty silver and black packet,
Alongside a discarded dog-end,
Plus two empty tobacco wrappers
Quietly I took their photograph
To share with the world at large
Finding the composition pleasing

A short time later I was asked
A quite reasonable question
Did you pick the litter up?
Which is a perfectly sensible ask
Given my implied vexation
And the fact that I did not

We could get into the philosophy
Of the aesthetics of found objects
In composition and all that,
Or the ethics of whether leaving
Someone else's litter makes you
Just as culpable as they were

But, perhaps, in the end,
It becomes a question of
Where does it end once you start?
And whether I wanted my pockets
Stuffed full of somebody else's
Old discarded fag packets...?

For the moment, however
I sat down upon the morning bench
Amongst memories of someone’s pause
And took a photograph of the view
Called Valley View with dropped
Salt and Vinegar Hula Hoop Packet


Martin A W Holmes, October 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment