Wednesday 5 October 2016

THE LOOK

THE LOOK

I was looking at something else
(Honest, Guv!)
As I drove along
Off there, to the right
Two o’clock high
Something caught my eye
Flying high – Up there in the sky!
A flock of something
(Really, Guv!)
Natural wonders fluttering along
Without any cares
As they flew right by
What they were I’ll never now know

I was looking at something else
(Honest, Guv!)
As you walked along
Over there, above your head…!
But you turned around
Just then - and caught my eye
Frowned so hard – Right there in the street!
Gave me “The Look”
(Scary, Guv!)
A cold, hard long-suffering stare
Brim-full of contempt
For the creepy guy
Implying this happens to you every day

I was looking at something else…!
(Honest, Guv!)
I protested inwardly
Never even noticed you
Until you turned
Looked me right in the eye
Feeling small – Sat there in my car…
Silently convicted
(Not me, Guv!)
Condemned of spending journeys
Furtively staring
Like some creepy guy
Undressing strangers with my eyes



Martin A W Holmes, October 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment