Saturday 8 October 2016

THE PLASTICITY OF PORRIDGE

THE PLASTICITY OF PORRIDGE

The milk poured, the oats added,
The flame is lit beneath
The glooping, bubbling starts,
And the stirring stirs my thoughts

Each and every time I wonder this
Whether there are big sums which could
Answer my question - once and for all
About the movement as saucepans boil

It’s about the plasticity of porridge
That I wonder every week
As I plunge the spoon right in quick
To complete the conjuring trick

If I only stirred anti-clockwise
Only at the perimeter of the pan
Would the porridge in the middle
Never move around and mingle?

Is the porridge in the middle
Less porridge-y than the rest?
Is the circumferential porridge
The porridge that is best?

Another question comes to mind
After porridge-eating is all done
Is when it comes to washing up
And all the porridge left behind

Why is it that no matter how much
Gets scraped into those bowls
There’s always so much left within
The pan sitting on the sink side

Porridge is quite magical
Breakfast food that’s hard to beat
But when you come to wash it up
It sets like solid concrete


Martin A W Holmes, Oct 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment