Friday 1 April 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (33) - WOODEN BOX 2 - SS CANBERRA 1965 (PHOTOBLOG)



SLIDE 0356

Here's another shot that I really do like, not least because of the sense of the size of the ship rising up in the background of the port in Palma, and that old-style truck lurking at the dockside, but also because of the two ladies standing in the shade whilst my Grandmother (alongside presumably the "Commodore" - I can't imagine Grandad allowing the camera to get that far away from him...), pose steadfastly in the baking hot Mediterranean sun.

It's good that they're making the most of the sun, though, because we are approaching the end of the Canberra pictures, loyal readers and slide-watchers; After just one more day of pictures from Majorca in August 1965, we'll be moving on into greyer, murkier corners of that great big wooden box of slides, many of them taken back in grey, murky old Blighty, and, I fear, there may be more than a few rather alarming sights in store...

2 comments:

  1. bring it on. I'm looking forward to seeing the New Forest. These pictures are really helping me to think about something else in what has become a terribly sad and unexpected time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to get your hopes up... The New Forest might possibly only be represented by one rather disappointing picture of a pony (it all gets a bit vague from here...) but I am hoping for some of your insight into identifying (or at least narrowing down the identity of) one or two of the places that show up.

      Happy thoughts... :-)

      Delete