Sunday 3 April 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 35) - WOODEN BOX 2 (PHOTOBLOG)

SLIDES 0377-0396

We've now reached the part of the collection rather helpfully labelled on that recently rather ubiquitous index card as:

NEW FOREST
COTSWOLDS
STOW ON THE WOLD
BURFORD
BOURTON ON THE WATER
MORETON ON MARSH
UPPER & LOWER SLAUGHTER, ETC.

Strangely, there are no pictures of "Brian Oldham's Wedding" inside this box despite the index claiming that there ought to be, but given that I have found several sets of pictures from random, anonymous weddings that we'll be getting to in the fullness of, I imagine, then I'm fairly sure that Brian will turn up sometime, even if none of us recognise him.

These are all places to which I personally have never been or, should evidence come to indicate otherwise, certainly have no memory of ever having been to, so I hope you'll bear with me (or provide assistance with details) if my notion of place gets a little vague.

I did say that things were about to get rather random, so we begin with a picture of a horse - doubtless a "New Forest Pony" if we believe the index - taken, I suspect, just because a picture of a horse was the sort of thing that was almost guaranteed to make my sister very happy.

After that there are some random pictures of rather ordinary street scenes which do rather comply with my rule that a dull street scene will always become a rather more interesting street scene if you add a certain amount of time. This, of course, goes in no way towards justifying the hundreds of very dull street scene pictures that I have taken myself. The three "red hued" images appear to be more commercially available souvenir slides of "The Cotswolds", but, as ever, I've included them for the sake of completion and hope that the "fifty year rule" might mean that I get at least slightly forgiven by the copyright holder, whoever that might be.

You will also notice that the above long list of places seems to cover a relatively small amount of pictures, as we do seem to arrive at BIRD SANCTUARY, LINCOLNSHIRE rather rapidly in this particular selection.

Don't blame me, I'm only scanning them as I find them, but it's nice to know that previous generations of my lot enjoyed the bird life almost as much as I seem to.

We also get to see another couple of views of one of Grandfather's now almost legendary Rovers, this time parked up outside a mystery cottage somewhere, and we end up in a place where it seems that giants walk the earth...




















5 comments:

  1. What a very neat home the had and a nicely planted garden.

    As a child we used to visit the model village and the bird sanctuary at BOTW on a Sunday. It always ended in tears, but the model village was great.

    I can confirm the sighting of a New Forest Pony as countless camping weekends were spent in the New Forest. These always ended in tears as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird sanctuary was at BOTW. That's where those penguins were taken. Not quite sure why it has a Lincolnshire tag as BOTW in in the Cotswolds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not their cottage then? Nice caravan parked at the back. Friends place maybe?

    BTW - is your grandad actually in the cage with that minah bird?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bird talked. It had quite a vocabulary. I'm surprised there are no pics of the macaws or the flamingos. The macaws talked too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And so the pieces of the jigsaw start to come together.. :-)

    ReplyDelete