Friday 29 April 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 61) - MYSTERIOUS BLUE BOX

SLIDES 0497-0501

That long, endless summer afternoon in my Grandparents' garden seems to persist through this set of pictures although, with that strange sense of displaced time that the running order of the slides seems to have, we begin with another picture of that much-loved Rover with my Grandmother quite possibly trying to finish off my Grandfather with the shock of pretending that she's about to get into it and attempt to drive off in it.

This probably never happened, but I like to think of it being the kinds of games that they might have played when the likes of us weren't around.

Then we're taken back to that sunny afternoon in their garden with tea being taken and sun-loungers, rugs and chairs set out for an afternoon of leisure during the height of summer.

I've still got that rug, by the way.

Today, as I write, it's on the sofa in the living room of my own tiny little house which is (after Grandfather literally sank the family fortunes by trying to build a solid gold yacht*) about the same size, more or less, as that great big Rover car.

The two pictures of my sister may very well have been taken in their garden, too... although, given that the next slides do take us on their travels again, this is by no means certain.

Pretty dress, though.






*This never happened

2 comments:

  1. For a second there I thought your sister was sporting a floral headdress. Maybe get that rug made into a kilt McHolmes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrendous haircut! I think the flowers were a nice touch, and yes, it was in that rather glorious garden of theirs! Glad you still have the rug.

    ReplyDelete