Tuesday 5 April 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 37) - WOODEN BOX 2 (PHOTOBLOG)



SLIDE 0404

A roadside mystery.

No, I've got no idea what's going on here either.

Well, apart from the obvious, that is.

Somewhere in what is quite possibly Lincolnshire in what was very probably some point after August 1965, my Grandfather must have happened upon this lorry or, perhaps, mobile crane and taken this snapshot of it, much as I might have done myself if the circumstances allowed it.

It seems to be another in his occasional series of mechanical disaster pictures which probably started with that girder collapse onto that house which we saw in his Box Brownie photograph set last year, and the big old boiler on the beach, and which we'll probably be returning to in a few weeks as and if we continue on with publishing these slides for public consumption.

Well, I say "public", but you half dozen people know who you are, don't you?

Anyway, it looks like something was attempting to lift something that was far too heavy  for it to lift, and the laws of physics and inadequate foundations took over unexpectedly, unless of course something just went into a horrific swerve and ended up in this unfortunate position.

I don't even know whether this was the immediate aftermath of something my Grandfather witnessed, and this picture was taken as proof of something or other, or if it was just something that he came upon long after the event, although the lack of arm-waving folk and general recovery equipment would rather suggest that this was not the case.

Anyway, I'm hoping that nobody got hurt, of course, and the open passenger side door does rather imply that an exit of sorts was made. 

As ever there remains no further explanation as there are no written notes or remembered anecdotes to help clarify this rather peculiar image.

Hmm... This vagueness is rather becoming a pattern, is it not? Perhaps I should refrain from adding my little commentaries altogether given how useless they actually are turning out to be?

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 03, 2016

    I remember my Grandfather once saying he had never had an accident in his car, and Dad muttering under his breath "but he's caused a few!" Perhaps this was one of those occasions?

    ReplyDelete