Thursday 14 April 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 46) - MYSTERIOUS BLUE BOX

SLIDE 0444
(From the "Mysterious Blue Box")

SPIEZ - SWITZERLAND

Possibly 1957

This is my Grandmother at possibly her most glamourous, or, at the very least, it's certainly the most glamourous picture that I've ever seen of her.

Leaning on the rail of an Alpine cateteria, high up in the mountains, staring out at what I imagine was a pretty impressive view, and looking pretty relaxed about everything.

Bravo...!

I guess that she'd have been in her mid-to-late fifties when this was taken or, to put it another way, not that much older than I now am, and I think that it's safe to say that people of that sort of age really don't look like this any more.

In fact there does seem to have been a culture in recent years that we're not really allowed to grow old gracefully any more, so people of a certain age generally don't allow themselves to look that age any more, instead relying on all manner of ways and means to retain that unnaturally youthful look that our culture seems to insist upon us all having if we are to be allowed to function.

On the whole, I tend to prefer the more natural approach, but then I've still (at time of writing) got all of my teeth and most of my hair, and that hair is only just started to get a touch of grey creeping in to overwhelm its darker hues.

Maybe I'll feel differently when the ravages of time truly start to bite...?

And Bravo to my Grandfather, too, (for I assume that it was he) for taking such a splendid shot

1 comment:

  1. It is indeed a stunning photograph on many levels Martin.

    ReplyDelete