Thursday 31 March 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (32) - WOODEN BOX 2 - SS CANBERRA 1965 (PHOTOBLOG)

SLIDES 0345-0355

Palma August 1965

Strangely, and purely by coincidence, I happened to put a DVD called "The Lost Worlds of Gerry Anderson" into the machine the other night (23/3/16), and one of the episodes of this strange mish-mash of his lesser known works was one of those Advertising/Information films that used to pop up on TV in the early 1960s.

It was called "Blue Skies Ahead!"  for Blue Car European coaches, and featured Nicholas Parsons going all over an early sixties version of Europe which now seems all rather familiar to me after looking through these photographs, and which will help in no small way in working out some of the more mysterious places that my Grandparents visited in those days.

One of the places that old Nick went to was Majorca, and, going by the photographs my Grandfather took, they may very well have covered much the same ground. So much so, in fact, that I was beginning to wonder whether my Grandparents had seen this little film, and whether it had inspired some of their travels.

I went to Palma, too, by the way, about ten years after this, and with my Mum and Dad. I seem to remember reading about seven books, seldom venturing from our hotel room, and, despite our own family album, struggle to recognise the Palma featured here.













1 comment:

  1. The cafe scene is so of its time. I feel I could almost be there.

    ReplyDelete