Tuesday 15 March 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (16) - WOODEN BOX 2 - SS CANBERRA 1964 (PHOTOBLOG)

SLIDE 0206

I just really like this image.

It's not because it's a particularly great photograph. In fact the framing is quite terrible, unless Grandfather had a secret crush on the mysterious lady in the conical hat - presumably the "Commodore's" wife  - with whom they were travelling.

In fact, because I have no other information, I am starting to get tempted to just make up stories about my Grandparents and their several journeys made with Commodore and Mrs Strapsdown because they are, at least, likely to be more entertaining than anything they actually did.

(I have scanned A LOT of these slides recently, and their interest, unfortunately never rises to the levels I'd hoped)

That said, tales of swingers' parties on the Cruise Liners of the 1960s might yet become a popular thing, even if only in certain quarters.

Anyway, back in the so-called  real world, the reason I like this picture is that it makes me think of those ITC series of the 1960s and 1970s where Roger Moore (or whoever) would stand next to a palm tree in front of a photographic blow-up of an exotic location and pretend to be there.

Or in later years, when Roger Moore (or whoever) would actually stand in front of a real exotic location and make us chilly northerners wish that we could go there.

Actually, this one makes me think of "The Zoo Gang" with little Johnny Mills. Look it up if you've never heard of it. It was short-lived, but all rather marvellous.

4 comments:

  1. I love those days when people wore curtains for clothes and North African wastepaper baskets on their heads. I'd forgotten all about The Zoo Gang
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4EdVmJOLfo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only six episodes made...

      I don't know why it particularly drew me towards "The Zoo Gang" (as opposed to, say, "The Persuaders") but there you go, it did. Those ITC Box Sets must have seeped into my consciousness after all...

      Delete
  2. If my memory serves me correctly (which it may well not, of course!) this is the famous Frank and Margaret Smith from Douglas on the Isle of Man!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much from keeping everyone anonymous, eh...? Anyway, I still prefer to think of them as Commodore and Mrs Strapsdown... ;-)

      (Meanwhile... Just wait until we get to the various random weddings of complete strangers...!)

      Delete