Wednesday 30 March 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (31) - WOODEN BOX 2 - SS CANBERRA 1965 (PHOTOBLOG)

SLIDES 0334-0344

Aboard SS Canberra, August 1965

There's not really much more that I can add to that, really, other than they appear to have returned to the ship after their adventures in Cairo and the ship seems to be steaming across the Mediterranean in bright sunshine, and heading towards Palma which, I'm guessing is the port they reach at the end of this set.

The sundeck looks strangely compact, the glass walls probably don't enclose it quite as much as these pictures might make it appear, and the funnels are an interesting shape. All-in-all, and despite the fact that I would probably photographed every inch of the ship myself if I could have, I'm far more interested in the goings on (and the astonishing array of old coaches) in those ports which, I think, provide yet another snapshot of a world now lost to us.












1 comment:

  1. Ah the age of streamlining. Those coaches are breathtakingly beautiful. What will we look back on from the world of today and go ahhhhh? Everything these days seems to be so uniform, dull and flat.

    ReplyDelete