Wednesday 23 March 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (24) - WOODEN BOX 2 - SS CANBERRA 1965 (PHOTOBLOG)



SLIDE 0266 shows my Grandfather in all his "Cruise Outfit" finery, leaning on the ship's rail and gazing out to sea.

Yes indeed, people actually used to wear that sort of thing outdoor and in public with no sense of shame at all.

I even remember my father having a similar matching shirt and shorts combination (sometimes topped off with a straw trilby I seem to recall) when I was a youngster. Looking at this picture, I begin to suspect that Dad's version may very well have been just the sort of Christmas or birthday gift that my Grandparents may have bought him, and that there may once have been the 1960s equivalent of a "Buy One, Get One Free" going on.

Meanwhile, what a cool customer Grandfather looks there. Maybe those onboard swingers parties aren't such a figment of my imagination after all...?

Bow chicka bow-wow...

No wonder I grew up with body image issues...

1 comment:

  1. That is very playsuitesque. It really should have gone down a storm with the ladies on the boat.

    ReplyDelete