Tuesday 22 March 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (23) - WOODEN BOX 2 - SS CANBERRA 1965 (PHOTOBLOG)

SLIDES 0261-0265

Pool games, SS Canberra 1965.

It's funny, but I can remember this whole "wrestling pole" thing going on over the swimming pool at Gunton Hall in Lowestoft where we went for a couple of holidays when I was very young and, if memory serves, that was where I had the unfortunate life-changing encounter with an angry goose.

Rather typically, because it was all terribly grown-up and organised, I had always assumed that the pole-fighters back in the day were professionals brought in to entertain the bored holidaymaker, but it's only now, when I'm looking at these images (you have to hope that the ship was stable), that I realise that such "entertainments" just included foolhardy volunteers of the sort that I wouldn't want to be sharing several days at sea cooped up on the same ship with.

That said, picture three is fantastic, and well-done to my Grandfather for getting such a fabulous shot with the equipment he was using.

The first picture also astounds me, by the way, as that pool looks far, far too small for any kind of race to be had, but what do I know...?






1 comment:

  1. On for the joys of the pole. Is it still part of holiday life somewhere I wonder? Is the knobbly knees competition still going strong and the wonderful cross-dressing world of topsey-turvey night. Hitler has a lot more to answer for than Poland.

    ReplyDelete