Wednesday 17 January 2018

CRANBOWIE

CRANBOWIE

It says a lot about the nineteen-nineties
And that decade's relationship with me
That I don't recall having heard any song
Sung by a passing Cranberry

Things felt similarto this two years ago
So much grief and woe was plain to see
Though I had quite enjoyed a tune or two
I never "got" David Bowie

I suppose I move in stranger circles
Ever decreasing or not moving at all
Popular music's seldom been my bag
As through this life of mine I crawl

Some acquaintances are still refusing
To believe me when I try to explain
So few of their music or telly choices
Will register upon my brain

I guess people might want to assume
That everyone else is just the same
How could someone have a life that’s so different
They don’t recognise such a fame

You can’t not have heard of this one
Honestly how could you have not
How can this mean so little to you
When my whole world’s just gone to pot

Yet I rarely play music on radios
I don’t watch pop concerts on TV
I’d certainly never want to go to one
And seldom put on a CD

So don’t believe me when I tell you
I never bought their HUUUUGE LP
They may have meant a lot to you
And yet they don’t exist for me

Being honest now I’ve chosen to refuse
To even engage with the television news
Despite this I may STILL not have heard 'em
Whilst they were all heart-breaking you

Though those songs may have been blasting out
On radios in waiting rooms for many years
In hairdressers or on telly advertisements
They’re not well-known tunes to my ears

So before I go it may need restating
Whilst I’m sure it’s my loss you’ll agree
I still don't recall having heard any song
Sung by a passing Cranberry



MAWH, January 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment