Monday 28 November 2011

IF YOU WANT BLOG (YOU’VE GOT IT)

Well, for good or ill, I do seem to find myself travelling far beyond the boundaries which I set for myself, and falling on a blistering trajectory back to Earth with more and more of these little  nuggets of life from beyond the edge of reason, beyond the rim and beyond all sanity, broadcasting to you from here in the less than cosy and snug confines of this world I will persist in calling Lesser Blogfordshire. “Why are you doing this, why, why, why???” I still hear the little voices holler, and still there’s no real answer, other than “I blog because I can” which seems to lack the real gravitas of a significant philosophical discussion.

I do sometimes think that somewhere along the line I may very well have strayed from the point of what a blog is actually supposed to be. Instead of merely reporting the right now, I seem to have drifted off into more esoteric regions of my so-called consciousness and decided to “share” my opinions on a whole raft of subjects about which, I sure you’ll agree, I’m barely qualified to comment upon. Of course, for a lot of people, that’s precisely what the internet is for, to tell the world what they “reckon” whether the world actually wants to hear it or not, so there are no real reasons for me not to join their sorry ranks, although I do like to think that I’m trying very hard to remain even handed, it is almost impossible to do so, especially when you are as opinionated as I can be. Perhaps this is why I choose not to merely report upon the comings and goings of the events (or lack thereof) going on in my little life. If I told you what I really thought right now, without due care and attention, I suspect that I’d end up getting into all sorts of bother. Better, perhaps, to try to remain esoteric or, at the very least, detached from reality (some might say ’twas ever thus) and off in some world of my own making.

Equally, there are a lot of finely honed and beautifully presented sites out there in the wibbly-wobbly-world that are all about expertise and knowledge, designed, in part at least, to aid the weary traveler as they seek out the kind of obscure knowledge so effortlessly hidden from public gaze. If I wish to learn to knit or build or create or share an interest, there are as many myriad places out there which I can seek out and explore, all created with love and a lack of cynicism as there are where the cynicism is most rife and the love is sadly lacking. Well, not the kind of “love” you might want to share in polite society at least.

Nevertheless, these humble mutterings, from here out beyond the rim in Lesser Blogfordshire fall somewhere in between those two extremes and, as I’ve regularly attested, sometimes they have become more of a burden to create than the absolute pleasure they ought to be. This is, after all, what I allegedly do for whatever passes in my mind for “fun” but fun can become hard work if you let it, and you can find yourself wondering quite where it was that you left it. However, if this is my definition of “fun”, or, at the very least what I do in order to imitate the phenomenon, then so be it. You don’t have to be mad to write here, but it really helps if you are. Of course, I do sometimes worry about the madnesses that I share, not least because they seldom seem to be madnesses to me, but the vast bulk of “The Great British Public” ofter seem to be at odds with me on this and perhaps they might prefer it if I merely did tell of my own “Journey” through life in the way that they seem to like.

However, if we merely want to explore the minutiae of the right now, this is how my day has shaped up so far today. Another restless night of insomnia found me once again staggering up in the darkness to seek out a keyboard and tap away at it, trying to put some random thoughts into some kind of coherent order whilst still managing to avoid hitting the right keys at the right time in order to do so. Various small sentences and prosaic paragraphs later, the clock in the top right hand corner of the screen warned me that it was approaching the ungodly hour when I needed to spring into action and save my files, shut down the computer and head off and boil the kettle that would provide the beloved and myself with the much needed cup of tea that would sustain us both through the morning’s commute. Sometime between those two points I will have dealt with the usual waste disposal needs that a body tends to have in the wee small hours (that gag seemed a lot funnier at 5.15, I can tell you), scrubbed my remaining molars with less than the vigour they might require, and boiled a more private kettle’s worth of water for the tea with which to take my daily morning pill selection. The lunchtime sandwiches were prepared and packed into the coolbag alongside other less healthy fare that would no doubt fall foul of any self-appointed school packed lunch inspectors if I had to face such a monstrous thing in my daily life. This was all before I ventured up here to take my place at this keyboard of dreams and expound upon my nightmares. I also inspected the morning’s latest news headlines in the forlorn hope that the day wouldn’t take me too much by surprise, and did my usual tour of the usual half dozen websites before loading up Word and joining you here today.

I think that we all need to agree that this kind of detail really isn’t necessary and that perhaps I should venture once more into my more usual topics of interest (or whatever other term seems most appropriate to your own particular mindset…). Luckily, I seldom have much time for what “The Great British Public” tends to reckon anyway, which is probably why this remains a quiet little oasis away from the buzzing maelstrom. That said, of course, the writing of these pages is a very personal thing and it can be whatever I want it to be. If I choose, for example, to burble on about my day, that’s just as valid as choosing to share some old photographs or writing some nonsense that represents my own insight into something I may very well know precious little about.

Sigh!

I know that today’s mutterings are all a bit abstracted and distracted, for which I can only apologise. I am, after all, slightly out of practice, as I’m sure my regular readers will attest if you ever track them down, although they tend to deny such a thing vigorously if pressed. Still, if you want blog... and more to the point I suppose, if you want this blog, once in a while, this is the kind of thing you are going to get, especially if I am struggling to find many words to write...




No comments:

Post a Comment