Thursday 8 October 2015

TWEETING IN RHYME

So, for a while during National Poetry Day this year, after suddenly deciding to publish some old sonnets I'd tried, and having been told that I had a "Curious Tongue" by my Polish dentist (an inspirational phrase in itself) I suddenly decided that I was going to do all of my Tweets in verse, rhyme, or haiku. For some of the time this wasn't a problem because one or two Tweeters were doing their own thing in the name of poetry. Anyway, what I discovered was that trying to write in verse is really, really exhausting (as you'll see if you read through these) and not always all that successful. Nevertheless, this is how it went:

Stanza Clause is going to town.

There ought to be cards
In card shops, of course
Where words of great poets
Replace the usual verse

I can feel my lip again
So now my curious tongue
Can explore my numbed teeth
All the afternoon long

The coffee won't burn
Or dribble down my chin
Now my curious tongue
Can keep it all in

I could now risk my sandwich
That finest cheesy delight
Because my curious tongue
Won't get trapped when I bite

LA: You'll be pronouncing tongue to rhyme with long, not tongue to rhyme with lung?

I will indeed, m'deario
Vulgar oik that I still am -
Tho' m'words are still not clear
M'curious tongue's still in a jam

LA: It's a tomayto/tomato situation at our house He Cheshire me Yorkshire

Without it causing too much fuss
It happens everywhere it does
Going to school I caught a bus
But in Wigan I catch a buzz

RT: The Cybermen first appeared 49 years ago today… See Cyber-tastic clips from the adventure at http://bbc.in/1VE3lUO 

We are Cybermen
Yes…! Cybermen…!
Don't ask us what we look like
There's at least a choice of ten…

HoT: The early ones have that horror of still having some of their humanity visible.

As we spotted 2 wks ago
When at the DVDs we did gape
Much of their cyber-enhancement
Relied on adhesive tape

HoT: Nice poetry.

Although my humble efforts
Can lack much ready wit
I'm trying to reply in poetry
It seems just the day for it

RNLI: A young @ProjectLifeboat wrote this acrostic poem spelling out 'RNLI'. Fancy writing your own?

Regular people who volunteer
Never thinking of themselves
Launching into stormy nights
Intent on saving souls.

BBC2: To celebrate #NationalPoetryDay, we're combining the art of the haiku with our love of television. It's time to share your #TellyHaikus.

Invaders from space
Perils for humanity?
Send for the Doctor!

British awkwardness
All human life is right there
At Fawlty Towers

War's horror brought home
To new generations when
Blackadder went forth

The problem is this
Use too much rhyme and you just
Sound like Frank Spencer

FFAO: Last night I dreamt Season 4 turned up in its entirety in Australia... Tenth Planet, Power, Evil... the lot. @doctorwho_aus #missingepisodes

Is it really possible
That these were never found
Simply because the labels
On the cans were upside-down?

I don't know how you do it
It's just so exhausting…!
Tweeting verse is tough enough
But it's hard to make it sing.

Three classic, "trendy" cars
At one point - in front, parked, behind -
Fiat 500, Mini, Beetle -
All remakes mighty fine.


Manchester glowering 
Clouds lowering 
Storms flowering 
Senses overpowering


I suspect that I've been 
Very annoying today -
Sometimes my enthusiasm 
Tends to make me that way


The Twin Peaks episode of Psych was on today
(Repeated tomorrow morning if you feel that way)

"41 Dogs..." a one-off documentary with its own feem toon...?
That doesn't sound good... I smell a sitcom soon...!

Legs & Co(mpany) dancing
In corsets & stocking tops -
How could anyone think dodgy things
Could happen on Top of the Pops...?

Reminds himself being sarcastic
Doesn't play well on this Twitter
So remember I am dry and caustic
Before any of you start to witter ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment