Thursday 8 October 2015

EXPERIMENTAL SONNETS (1)

As part of my current desire to dabble in poetic forms, I thought I'd experiment with the structure of the sonnets and see what emerged (if I've understood the structures correctly). The results are a mish-mash of ideas (and maybe even a bit of a mess) built around the theme of fire and probably need a lot of work, but they're kind of interesting explorations of an embarrassing, self-indulgent something or other that remains undefined and which would probably embarrass the average angst-filled adolescent, and ought not to be taken too seriously.

That said, it IS National Poetry Day, so...

(1) Angry fires

I’ve waited so long to get some success
Despite my total lack of ambition
And yet I dislike (I have to confess)
Life passing by without recognition
Or becoming an object of desire
Although I know there was never a chance
Of me lighting up a stranger’s lust fire
To think about a moment’s dalliance
Whilst others who have done me wrong
Never seem to get their just desserts
Whilst I was left to just bumble along
So that perhaps is what most truly hurts -
And I’ll still head up to those pearly gates
Hoping ev’rything comes to he who waits

No comments:

Post a Comment