Friday 1 August 2014

SENSORITES AND OTHER ANNIVERSARIES...

 So, how will you be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first broadcast of the final episode of "The Sensorites" then…?

I myself celebrated its first transmission by getting myself born just a few days earlier, arriving just in time for "A Desperate Venture" to reach its inevitable conclusion, and for this seemingly much-unloved of "Doctor Who" tales to reach its conclusion. If I hadn't been tardy in my arrival, of course, I might have been here for the previous episode "Kidnap" but somehow that episode title doesn't quite have the same air of appropriateness about it.

I've often wondered whether, given the dates, I was a post-JFK Assassination conception, but, given the amount of time in my fifty years that I have devoted to watching one particular TV show, perhaps I was conceived during that opening episode, "An Unearthly Child" (!!!) on a dark night in November 1963 after one too many sherries nipped back when the world was trembling over what the outcome of those dreadful events in Dallas might be.

Weirdly enough (because, when you start to look into such things it can surprise you…) it appears that I first popped into the world on what was technically the fiftieth anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War, (if you go by the Austria-Hungary dates) which probably tells you something profound about something or other.

(As with most people, it is, after all, all about me…)

The oddest thing of all, I suppose, is that it's taken me so long to realise… or even take an interest in such things. Many people seem to have a distinct fascination for the circumstances of their birth and what was going on at the time, but I seem not to have ever really done that.

In fact I'm still not entirely sure at what time of the day I was hauled kicking and screaming into this world which might explain why I've always tried to be a little vague about the date of my arrival too.

After all (and despite what habitual bloggery might suggest to you), I've always felt that it's slightly undignified to try to keep on drawing attention to yourself…

6 comments:

  1. Actually Martin, I think you will find that it is all about me. Susan looks lovely doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Playing fifteen, CAF was actually 23-24 years old when she played Susan. Some of her interviews imply that she was already a mother, too, but that might just be my misinterpretation of things that Mr Hartnell said to her during their ongoing friendship, when he continued to regard her as a fifteen-year-old when giving her advice...

      Delete
  2. 7.30 am, if my memory serves me correctly!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely Peter Capaldi's world tour is worth a few words?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that it's "out there" I'm going to be on total "anti-spoiler" lockdown, to be perfectly honest with you...

    ReplyDelete