Wednesday 13 August 2014

BRAVE NEW WORLDS


The clouds over Manchester were a little dull this morning, and this might just be the first indication that “Commuter Cloud Season” (I’ve been posting a lot of cloud pictures in FizzBok recently, about which I shall probably write much more another time) might be drawing to a close as the gloom of the dawn becomes impenetrable until far after I’ve passed through it on my way towards the grey box next to the sewage works.

But I decided to post this rather dull picture anyway because I had been wondering just exactly what it might feel like to know that you’re going to bed on your last night as a resident in one country, knowing that perhaps all of your future ones will be lived under another sky in another life, and wondering also what it must be like to wake up knowing that today is the proverbial “it” and you’re off, and a bland, grey old morning is the best that the old country can offer you to see you off with.

To be honest, it’s possibly the very first time I’ve ever really thought about this at any length and with any sense of reality. I know that Nick went a few years ago, but that kind of passed me by, and I didn’t even know he was going until he’d already been gone for a year or so.

I’m just so very impressed by people who can do this… All the more so because I can have a culture shock meltdown simply because the light-switches in a hotel room work in a slightly different way to those I am used to.

Brave people.


Brave new worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment