Monday 11 August 2014

SPORTY THINGY OF THE WOTSIT



As I was heading out through the lobby on what can only be described as a “mid-morning comfort break”, the office window-cleaner (always a benchmark for open-mindedness, fair play and PC opinions) has just given me what he describes as a “hot tip” for “Sporty-Person of the Year” (or somesuch) --- some golfist or other.

He was NOT impressed when I (rather wittily, I thought) suggested that Alistair Cook might get it ---  (he's a very “literal-minded” chap, our window-cleaner - or at least he appears to be - and seemed not to detect the slight but inevitably wicked glint in my eye when I mentioned this - until recently at least - most unpopular of captains of men…) 

“It’s NEVER a cricketer!” he spluttered incredulously, “Well, not since Botham, and he deserved it…”

’Twas ever thus… (but I remain to be convinced that the general public get all that excited by golfists either…)

Still, you heard it here second, if you want to bung a fiver down…

No comments:

Post a Comment