Tuesday 19 August 2014

AUTUMNAL ALREADY

Don't you get the feeling that it's already getting "autumnal" out there…?

I don't know… Perhaps it's just me. After all, I always get that feeling once the Test Matches are over, but this year they finished a good fortnight earlier than I'm used to, but already the weather seems to be shifting.

Even the odd tree in my neighbourhood seems to be taking the hint and thinking about taking the leap into the reds and browns of its autumn colour scheme.

Now, when I first noticed that a few days ago, I was convinced that the leaves were crisping up because they were parched after all of that dry heat we had in July, but now I'm not so sure. Now I'm beginning to think that the fall is coming and, like in most other years, there's precious little that we can do to stop it.

Or perhaps I'm imagining it all…?

Perhaps it's just because I've been more aware of the clouds this year than previously, given that I've been snapping them lately. Recently the impressive air sculptures haver been catching my eye as I drive to work and causing me to pull up and try to capture at least the essence of their beauty and magnificence, but then, this morning, everything suddenly looked rather flat and grey, and, with that slight chill that accompanied it, I started to believe that autumn had arrived.

Now, to be honest, I used to think that Autumn really was my favourite time of the year. That slight sense of decay, and kicking my way through the fallen leaves, and the hint of woodsmoke on the breeze, just before the cold and the damp and the darkness took over completely.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Maybe it's a sign of getting older, but I much prefer the longer days and the sunshine.

Perhaps that's due to the fact that I'm suddenly facing my own autumn and I don't want to be reminded of it by everything around me.

Or maybe it's because I worry more about slipping on those leaves that I used to kick my way through, or tripping over a hidden fallen branch.

After all, when you get to my great age, you have to be careful about those things…

No comments:

Post a Comment