Monday 25 February 2013

SPY NIGHT



Perhaps it was a mistake to watch “Skyfall” for the second time on the very same evening I watched “The Bourne Legacy” for the first, but that’s the nature of shiny disc-dom; You get a random rental which arrives on the previous day to the one you pre-ordered off the internet (only to find that the supermarkets are then flogging it at half the price you paid – so much for “pre-order discounts…”) and, because of various factors, you’re then stuck with the dilemma of which to watch first…

The shiny new thing that you’ve actually spent your own money on, but which you saw so very recently in the cinema that nothing’s likely to come as much of a surprise, or the one you’ve never seen, started watching the day it came but was far too tired to appreciate, and which is a rental and so it really ought to go back as soon as possible so that they can despatch another one and you get something approaching your “money’s worth” this month…

Somehow though, you then actually manage keep yourself awake long enough on a Saturday evening to see both, whilst the other rental disc, the one that arrived two weeks earlier but which you really haven’t been in the mood for, sits there lonely and unloved in the envelope, and you constantly hear a soft shrill voice shouting in the manner of a fly-headed scientist caught in a web…

“Watch me! Watch me!”

Which is merely the sound of my own guilt constantly nibbling away at the back of my subconscious mind.

Watching the two films back-to-back really did give me pause for thought. Both of these films start off rather slowly, in fact, the first time that I tried to watch the Bourne film, I gave up after half an hour because I was feeling so very sleepy. Still, second time around it escalated into a rattlingly fast-paced yarn which was all rather enjoyable.

This observation of “slowness” might seem an unusual observation, especially with regards to “Skyfall” which opens with an escalating chase sequence which has had the critics and the general public raving, but the high-octane ending of “The Bourne Legacy” really made the pace of “Skyfall” seem pedestrian at first, once we’d switched the discs over, although the pace does pick up after the attack on the board of enquiry room…

Mind you, I thought that the first half seemed rather slow in the cinema too. The Bond films, I’ve always felt, have always seemed rather too pleased with their stunt sequences and do rather tend to dwell upon them, whereas other films of that ilk seem to treat those sequences in a rather cavalier and throwaway fashion which does tend to keep the pace rattling along more quickly…

I had a similar problem with the l-o-o-o-n-g boat chase sequence at the start of “The World Is Not Enough” over a decade ago, although I put that down to finding London to be a rather drab and shabby place on film, although I suppose that’s perhaps got something to do with over-familiarity, and London might seem exotic and mysterious if you’re watching a film in Islamabad.

It’s not that I think “Skyfall” is a “bad” film or, for that matter, that the Bourne one is a “good” one, but it was interesting to watch them both “back-to-back” as it were when I wasn’t really expecting to and make the comparison between two different film franchises which cover broadly the same ground.

Of course the plots of both of these films make no sense at all, but, then again, the plots of this kind of movie seldom do anyway when you actually start to think about them... “Skyfall” in particular suffers from the “over-convoluted plot” syndrome in that a heck of a lot of pre-planning has to fall into place for the plot to even be possible whilst another character gains easy access to the home of the main target very simply quite early on and you wonder why the villain didn’t just try doing that...

In fact there are a few moments where you find yourself almost screaming at the screen (well, I was at home this time…) things like “If he can substitute himself for a chauffeur, why didn’t you…?”

And, of course, the person who ends up being the main victim in the film only does so because of an act of random chance and this leads to a rare failure for the lead character which is dressed up in all the trappings of success, because after all, we need our “heroes” to be “successful”, don’t we…?

Daniel Craig is an oddly shaped chap though, isn’t he…?

You only have to look at the silhouette on the cover of the DVD to realise that, and that slow walk towards the camera at the start of the film does rather emphasise it, too. But, I reaise that a lot of people actually seem to like his peculiar shape (Personally, Clive James’ description of Arnold Schwarzenegger as a “condom stuff full of walnuts” springs to mind) so I suppose that, once again, I’m getting that wrong in comparison to everyone else’s opinion.

Back to my own DVD purchase, and I suspect that, on another day, I might have been posting giddily something tiresome like “It’s arrived…! It’s arrived!” about my “Skyfall” disc, but, you’ll have happily discovered, I chose not to do that.

Well, until now, anyway…

After all, I’ve always been inclined towards completing my Bond film collection as quickly as possible whenever a new one comes out, but they still only sit on a shelf and gather dust once I’ve done so, so perhaps it’s time that I grew up and stopped being so easily led…

No comments:

Post a Comment