Tuesday 19 February 2013

COIN SHIELD


I love this…

I just love the fact that you can do this with our coinage and am amazed it took me over four years to even notice that you can, seeing as they were first introduced in 2008.

However, my own lack of observational skills aside, I also rather like the fact that, with a little bit of careful planning and a willingness to set aside £1.88 of your small change, anyone can collect together the parts of this little jigsaw and build one for themselves.

The design itself was the winning entry in a competition run by the Royal Mint back in 2005 and was won by a Welshman called Matthew Dent whose use of the Royal Shield across the reverse of the entire set gives the coins a contemporary feel whilst linking them right back through the entire history of English coins, and got him much criticism, ironically, because the shield itself doesn’t actually contain a uniquely “Welsh” element in its design.

So, if you’re just a tiny bit bored the next time you’re in a coffee shop or on the train, why don’t you rummage through your pockets and see if you’ve got the makings of the national jigsaw game.

Go on… You know you want to…

1 comment:

  1. I did not know this. Thanks for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete