Thursday 4 April 2013

SO LUCKY


The irony of yesterday’s blog posting of the rant du jour pulled straight from my gut, is that I was actually on the brink of writing something like this…

I know that I’ve whined and moaned and complained about my experiences visiting the hospital over these past few weeks but, when I think about it, in some ways I really am so lucky. Don’t get me wrong, the situation is still an utter nightmare when the entire burden must fall as it does upon the shoulders of just one person and isn’t able to be shared around a little, and I’m still feeling frustrated and angry and exhausted at the whole wretched business, but I do realise that it could be far, far worse.

After all, it doesn’t take a genius to look around a ward and see slices of other lives which appear to be falling apart just as chaotically, and, believe me, the grinding glacial slowness of the average hospital visit when you’re desperate to think of something new or interesting to say, gives you plenty of opportunities to look around and see what’s going on.

The man quietly sitting and holding the hand of an old lady who doesn’t even respond; The endless buzzing of an alarm from someone who needs help getting out of the loo but which the staff all ignore until they get a chance to respond to it; The old lady sitting in the wheelchair endlessly repeating “help me” to which no-one who will listen; The bewildered looking wanderers who drift into the wrong ward and just sit down at the first available bedside and then can’t be found by the staff supposed to be looking after them; The incredibly shouty lady in the next bed who was just as rude, if not more so, to her entire family than my mother is to me; The lady who apparently wanders around in the wee small hours and goes and sits on other people’s beds in the middle of the night; The lady who wandered in and got violent and angry with the staff who tried to get her back to her bed, bellowing that “I’ve worked here for twenty years!”; And the others who are just basically so far away with the fairies that you wonder where it is they think they are…

Alzheimer’s disease really is such a cruel thing to have, and when the patient becomes violent as well, it’s really hard for everyone else who has to deal with it, so, despite the little spats I have with my mother, I should be thankful that I don’t have to cope with any of that, for the moment at least.

Some of the nurses are just so kind and so understanding despite the most dreadful of provocations that I really, really don’t even begin to understand how they have the patience to put up with it, because I know that I can’t.

It seems that I can’t even manage a simple visit without provoking some kind of mutual hostility, and yet, to be perfectly honest, my tetchy battle over a bag of crisps pales into insignificance compared to some of that stuff, even though it was infuriating at the time.

That particular storm in a teacup went something like this:

We arrived to visit and were greeted with a less than cheery “Hello.  Did you bring me any sweets? Any cheese?” There then followed the usual discussion about diet and bingeing on foodstuffs that are very bad for you when the main problem seems to be to do with the digestive system.

After that I got the usual “You don’t know what it’s like you get so bored…”  to which the solution is, apparently, not to read your book, make a few phone calls or watch telly, but to stuff your gullet with any and all of the available snack food whilst not selecting much off the menu.

There then followed a soliloquy about crisps which we again discussed the appalling nature of, nutrition-wise and tried to steer the conversation in other directions. After about ten minutes of trying to make conversation about the things going on in our lives, none of which seemed to be of any interest whatsoever, she turned around, looked me straight in the eye and said:

“Do you think you’d like to go and get me some crisps from the shop…?”

Well, no… I wouldn’t actually, but then I did because, quite frankly, it’s just so very much easier to just do that.

We could talk about a sense of entitlement, or whether I don’t know what it’s like being so bored, or the inadvisability of stuffing your face, or what’s bad for you until we’re red in the face and furious as hell with each other, but sometimes it’s just so much simpler to stroll off to the shop, let off a little steam as I do so, and buy the damned crisps.

In the end I just go because it’s the easiest option which is either very courageous of me or, more likely I suspect, completely weak…

Equally, my delayed and ultimately temporary collection of my mother on that Sunday afternoon was messed up and that was also, apparently, all my fault.

Instead of doing what I arranged with the ward and heading there for three o’clock, I did what my mother suggested and rang the ward beforehand, at about 2.30, just as I was due to leave. They told me to hang on and wait for a call, because mother was being transferred to a different unit in “about ten minutes” and they thought I might need to wait for an hour or so after that.

At 3.20 the hospital rang me and asked where I was because they’d been told I was coming at three o’clock, which, of course, I would have been if I hadn’t followed my mother’s instructions.

Later on, in the car, I was told in no uncertain terms that I ought to have rung the ward because “They’d have known what was going on…” and any suggestion I might have made that I was only doing what the ward told me to do was simply not believed.

I know… Whingeing again… I’m sorry… Other people have it far worse… Yada, yada, yada…

Sadly, I still can’t help but get the impression that the hospital were merely clearing the decks on Sunday before the changes to the NHS came in, but I don’t suppose anyone would ever admit to that…


No comments:

Post a Comment