Thursday 25 April 2013

IT WON’T BE ME

“When I win the lottery…”

You don’t hear people say it much any more, do you? Or, to be more precise, I don’t hear people say it much any more. You, on the other hand might spend your days surrounded by the kind of dreamers who still have some hope in their lives, or you might very well be the kind of person who still dreams of a sudden fortune landing in your lap quite out of the blue and without having to really work for it, and good luck to you if you still are.

The truth is that, after a decade and a half or more, the fickle finger of fate has not picked me out and found me worthy of such riches and, perhaps, that’s not the worst thing.

There was a time, of course, when I was desperate for a random chance to drag me out of the crowd and help me to break away from the humdrum reality of my existence

Now I know that the humdrum reality was my existence.

In the meanwhile, most people, I imagine, have paid far more into the lottery pot than they’ve ever got out of it, despite the odd tenner here and there and the occasional slightly bigger prize. In the end you just have to be philosophical and look upon it as your own voluntary contribution to the arts, even if it’s not a selfless one because you were really, really hoping to get something for yourself out of it when you first placed your betting slip down on the counter.

And, when I think about it now, if it had happened, I suspect it might very well have ruined my life because I don’t think that I’d be very good at being wealthy, even though it would be nice to try it for a while I’m sure. Many of the clichéd trappings of wealth that you see on the telly just look ghastly to me and wouldn’t interest me at all, I fear.

Instead, I look at my life now and wonder whether the things I might spend such money on today might not be the same as they might have been fifteen or twenty years ago. The idea of a  collection of fast cars would no longer thrill me like it once might have done, and the big house in which to have Victorian-style Christmases only really works if you still have friends that you wish to interact with in that context and who don’t have other family commitments at that time of the year.

I’m more interested in travel than I once was, I suppose…

I do have dreamy nuggets of ideas, people I’d like to give a helping hand to and so forth, but I don’t suppose it’ll ever actually happen.

Then, you see, it’s started to become increasingly obvious that a “big” lottery win is no longer all that big any more, and to make a difference, it has to be a huge win, otherwise you’re still left relatively poor and facing the possibility of, horror of horrors, still having to think about working for a living...!

Once decent house can chew up a million in the blink of an eye, and maintaining and furnishing it might chew up another. Add a couple of cars and a holiday or three into the mix and you’ve blown a couple of million and you’ve barely even started.

A few weeks ago I was listening to the radio and I heard about the problems in a refugee camp at the edge of what I think was Malawi, but if it wasn’t, I’m sure that the people of Malawi will not notice my error. Basically, the aid worker being interviewed said that there was only one toilet for every three thousand people currently living in the camp and that it was getting worse by the day.

A quick calculation in my head worked out that if a rich philanthropist heard that and decided to do something about it, a thousand portable toilets would probably come to about a thousand pounds each if you included the chemicals needed maintain them, and that’s a million pounds gone before you charter the plane to get them there, and they are also going to get so ruined under those conditioned that you would be very unlikely to get any kind of return on your investment.

And that’s just partially addressing one problem in one camp, and I wouldn’t even be sure that I’d flown them to the correct country.

No wonder charities struggle. There are so many endless problems in need of so many costly solutions, that you really do begin to wonder whether any of the likes of me, living as we do surrounded by the trappings of the modern world, the computers, the televisions, the washing machines and the flushing toilets and the running water, have the right to dream of getting our hands on a couple of million and blowing it on the trappings of a vacuous lifestyle…

5 comments:

  1. A small and warm island, Radio 4, and countless bottles of wine... when I win the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather like that air of certainty you have managed to cultivate there... ;-)

      Delete
  2. Just the freedom not to work. That would be enough. Though a nice bottle of wine would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds about right - We'll meet you on the terrace (if you're still prepared to talk to riff-raff like us, that is...)

      Delete
    2. I'll bring cheese.

      Delete