Thursday 17 May 2018

SPLICING


A poem with a very short sell-by date...

SPLICING

I’ve never watched a Royal Wedding
I’ve not seen a Royal Splicing me
Though one may have been on next door’s telly
When she made me lunch in seventy-three

I always try to be out somewhere
Away from the maddening crowds
Trying to track down birds to watch
Or photographing the clouds

In eighty-one my sister and I
To open fields and countryside
Headed out in her dark blue Mazda
To avoid any blushing brides

The rest I’ve never seen at all
The gushing nonsense makes me switch off
I can never really understand why
There’s such interest in a bunch of toffs

The whole shebang kind of passes over me
Throughout even the planning stages
Although all those media fixations
Can trigger my occasional rages

Because it does get rather tiresome
Hearing pundits without remorse
Assess a smiling walking uterus
As if she’s a brood mare clotheshorse

When big brother married what’s-her-face
Probably now several years ago
We had other birthday celebrations that day
So we really didn’t want to know

I’ve never watched a Royal Wedding
I’ve not seen a Royal Splicing me
It’s really not the sort of thing
That would be likely to interest me

There’s always stuff on the telly afterwards
That becomes more difficult to ignore
Although the “Off” switch proves rather handy
I find I’m using it more and more

The whole darn thing gets much ignored
Despite being sort of vaguely aware
That this whole nonsense will be going on
No doubt sometime soon somewhere

I get so out of the nonsense loop
Until it got mentioned at work yesterday
This time round I hadn’t realised
That this splicing gig was on Saturday

So I won’t be glued to the telly
Or found outside waving little cheap flags
I’m more likely to put a box set on
Or be in Tesco filling shopping bags

I’ve never watched a Royal Wedding
I’ve not seen a Royal Splicing me
You can bet a grape to a gooseberry
That I won’t be starting with Harry

MAWH, May 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment