Sunday 5 June 2016

GRANDAD'S SLIDES (PART 98) - LITTLE WHITE BOX 01

SLIDES 0630-0632

"Christmas 1974, etc."

Although, in reality, given the location and the people at the table, this must be New Year's Eve, December 31st, 1974.

Funnily enough, I have no memory at all of having had to perch at a separate table for one of those meals, but it seems from the surprisingly all too memorable flowery swivel chair I appear to be smiling like a loon - or a diabolical mastermind in a spy movie - out of.

I remember my Auntie Lilian, of course. She always seemed such a happy soul, although she looks surprisingly sad in both of the pictures she appears in, and it never occurred to me until I saw these pictures that she might have felt terribly sad of lonely on a New Year's Eve spent with the likes of us.

On New Year's Ever there would be presents (this may very well have been the year of the green Mini I told my regular readers about several years ago*) and I could slope off to bed early (nothing changes - I still do this) whilst the adults would endure the long dark night of the fizzling out of the year, raise whatever glasses they did, and then (mostly) disappear off into the night so that there'd be little sign of anyone other than my mother and father come the dawn of another year.

My sister looks surprisingly chipper, though.

I suspect that she was heading out for the evening.



1 comment:

  1. I prefer to eat at my own table. The food tastes better without people around you.

    ReplyDelete