Friday 1 March 2013

DEADLINE

“Hold on a minute though… that doesn’t make sense…!”

Ah yes, the more shrewd amongst you will have noticed (at least if you’ve been paying attention, you will have…) that those last two postings don’t quite stack up…

(Pauses to allow you to go away and read them)

(Sits here feeling slightly disappointed that you decided not to bother doing so…)

IF I was so busy running around trying to keep life going whilst running backwards and forwards to the hospital, how come I managed to find the time to build my little cardboard boat…?

I good point, well made…

I concede.

All I can say is that you can’t beat having a definite deadline when it comes to simply having to get things done.

The sands of time do tend to shift and slide about, but certain dates can and will not be moved, and if you want to meet them, then there is a cut-off point, a razor, a guillotine moment that simply screams (as Aaron Schroeder and Wally Gold put it for Elvis Presley to sing…) “It’s now or never…”

There was quite simply no other day left in which it could be done, so it had to be done that day or not at all, and we had, as always, rather left it to the very last minute, the nick of time, the brink of disaster and so forth, and, quite simply, had to make the time.

So we did.

After all, despite my many, many shortcomings in this short little span that we are all, to a lesser or greater extent, sharing, I’m not the kind of person who would want to accidentally disappoint the beloved, even though I’m sure that I unwittingly do so all the time.

Anyway, for once I didn’t and we got the job done and, for one fleeting and exquisite moment, everyone seemed happy.

Make the most of it.

It doesn’t happen very often, not in Lesser Blogfordshire anyway…

1 comment:

  1. a plot more layered than an Agatha Christie.

    ReplyDelete