Thursday 14 March 2013

IT DOESN’T MATTER

Why do I always believe
That these things are so important?

Why do I have to keep on
Contributing
To online word games
In which nobody cares
Whether I join in or not…?

Why do I feel that
If I fail to come up with a new one,
Somehow my own little world
Will come grinding to a halt…?

Why does it bother me so
That I don’t know
What’s happening right now
In a game of cricket which is happening
On the other side of the planet…?

Because there’ll always be
Another cricket match…

Once this one’s over,
Won or lost,
I’ll forget all about it
And start wondering about
The next one…

It’s like that
“Oh-so-important”
Footballing game…

A couple of days later and
It doesn’t seem to matter any more,
And there’s always another one
To get worked up about
Coming along any day now…

It just doesn’t matter…

So why do I always believe
That these things are so important?
Lying awake
And so eager to please

Nobody.

You see, none of it really matters…

There’ll always be
Another blogger to read…

One who’s smarter,
And wittier,
And funnier than me,
And far better at it
Than I could ever be…

There’s always someone else
Who thinks that they might
Enjoy being a writer
Or a poet…

There’s always another
Joke to be told
And you can be quite sure
That if I don’t

Get around
To telling it,
Someone else will
Come up with it
Eventually…

Tesco wrote apologies
With unusual line-breaks
And structuring,
And they called it “free-form poetry.”

So I thought that I might
Restructure a thought
And toy with a form
I know nothing about.

Because in the end
You see,
None of it matters
At all.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment