Friday 12 June 2015

POETRY POEM

I never really “got” poetry -
Strange Mister Watson; Nice Mister Watson.
Had us read “Cristabel” and “The Deserted Village”
For “O” Level English Lit.
But whilst I understood enough
To pass with flying colours,
I never knew what their real meanings were.

I still avoided poetry –
Avant-garde authors; Pretentious writers.
Would sometimes put appropriate extracts
In amongst the prose
Of the schlocky thrillers I read
And all those other “trendy” books,
But I’d always skip past those bits.

One of my best friends liked poetry –
Tragic Laura; Sad, mad Laura.
She asked me to type out “Snow Joke”
(By Simon Armitage) on my computer
For her to stick on a kitchen cupboard door
But I added my own italics and emphasis in bold
So she made me type it out again.

We went to a night of performance poetry –
Laura and me, Alison and Sarah P.
In the “Frog and Bucket” pub
Before they knocked it down.
Someone read one about social workers,
Then had a row with a heckler over it,
But surprisingly I found this amazing and exciting.

The writer’s group talked about poetry –
Sensible Martin; Well-read Martin
Tried to get us to analyse the whys
Of the words used by William Blake.
But I got irritated and became annoying
Because I didn’t understand the need to,
And the group split up soon afterwards.

My dear old mum wrote poetry –
Literary Kathy; Late, lamented Kathy.
She’d enter them in competitions,
Which she quite often “won” (!)
Although I always suspected
That they gave these awards to everyone
Who entered, so that they’d buy the books.

I didn’t read mum’s poetry -
Hopeful parent; Disappointed mother.
I thought that it was too flowery,
Too sentimental; Far too twee.
But the minister wanted stuff to say at her funeral,
So we lent him the books
And he read her words out.

These days I try to write poetry –
Talentless Martin; Self-conscious Martin.
Occasional posts on the five-year blog
Would slide into hopeless doggerel
Which I was usually quite ashamed of.
Yet now I exchange poetic banter online
Whilst becoming inspired and starting to “get” poetry.


Martin A W Holmes, June 2015

(Stanzas about John Begley and Dylan Thomas wisely avoided)

1 comment: