Monday 1 December 2014

HOLIDAY, NOVEMBER 2014 (24) - PELICAN PETE




NOVEMBER 09 (Cont'd)

I was getting rather impatient with the Beloved as she dawdled behind me taking her pictures of the Gulls and Cormorants.

"C'mon, c'mon! You'll never get closer to a Pelican than this!"

Knowing that she had expressed a deep fondness for the Pelicans we'd been seeing as we travelled along the coast, I was delighted to spot one not twenty feet away from me as I looked over the wall of the promenade at Monterey, and was desperately worried that it might fly off before she'd had chance to see it...

Still oblivious to what I was waving my arms about and pointing for, eventually she caught up with me as I excitedly explained to her that we were closer to a Pelican than we'd ever been before and, as I insisted upon explaining at great, great length, over and over again (I'm really not an easy person to be around, I know...) "You'll never get closer to a Pelican than this!"

And so, we got more than a little bit giddy, took far, far too many pictures of the various Pelicans that we saw as they went through their bizarre flapping motions and that strange head movement where it looks as if they're going to turn themselves inside-out, and loitered around for far, far longer than we might otherwise have done, before continuing on our way along the sea-front and, eventually, onto another wharf about a half mile up the coast from the main one.

This was the wharf with the Coastguard vessels moored alongside it, and an Egret which took so long looking into the water looking for some fresh fish that I begin to suspect that it may very well still be standing there now, as well as the large amount of seals and sea-lions lurking on a land-spit that was a restricted government area and which featured in the photographs attached to my earlier description of our day in Monterey.

But before we got to that point, I happened to look over the fence at the side of the wharf and, sitting on a rock not five feet away from me was a Pelican, a juvenile we believe, and one which was obviously detemined to disprove my asseertion that "You'll never get closer to a Pelican than this!"

We immediately decided to call him Pete, and we watched him for ages.

In fact he was still there when we walked back from photographing the seals and we took another load of pictures of him then, too.

Because sometimes in life you just know that  you'll never get closer to a Pelican than that...!"




No comments:

Post a Comment