Monday 11 November 2013

TELEPHONE WIRES

This was just an idea I had for something I thought might make a nice picture...

There are one or two strange things that strike me about telephone wires. We tend to take them for granted because, for the time-being at least, they are all over the place. It all looks very unpromising really, just a wooden pole and some wires and yet this very simple combination of wood and metal can connect you to pretty much anyone in the world, no matter how remote they might be.

Whilst in the so-called "first world" we tend to find that we also take for granted the ability to communicate with anyone at any time when they're anywhere, in some parts of the world, you still have to walk miles just to make the most basic of telephone calls and yet, even from those middle of nowhere places, given the right combination of numbers, you could even get through to me in Lesser Blogfordshire.

Whether I'll pick up, however, is, of course, another matter...

((This post was a thought from late summer which I never got around to either expanding upon or actually posting... until now, of course. There may be a lot of this sort of thing going on over the coming weeks as I struggle to find anything new to say, so be warned... Time Travel is indeed possible...!))

5 comments:

  1. I was driving recently and saw a very similar telegraph pole with near identical wires stretching off in all directions; only upon each and every wire was a long string of iridescent Starlings as if all in a queue to reach the pole itself; framed against a startlingly blue sky. I remember thinking that it would make a good picture, if only I hadn’t been driving at the time. Your photograph this morning transported me back to that moment of fleeting magical delight, for which I thank you. A much better way to start my week than the depressing pile of humdrum bureaucracy, which is lurking in my in tray, poised to spoil my day. Thank you for the connection and for sharing, it all helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of something... I may post you another picture later (if I can track it down...)

      Delete
  2. At my hideaway in darkest Wales the telephone lines form a web against the skyline from my window. Not only that, due to the scattered nature of the houses and cottages the electricity is also delivered through overhead wires. On windy nights you can hear the power hum as it moves through the wire and occasionally a wire gets blown down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very evocative... Although you don't have to be in the "back of beyond" to get your electrickery through overhead cables, as my own little hovel can attest...

      Delete
  3. We too have the overhead lines for telephones and electricity, complete with requisite mumuration of starlings, and pairs of collared doves. The joys of living in t'countryside does seem to come with requisite power cuts, and horror of horrors, those hellish days when the phone lines are brought down by a falling tree (or sat-nav mis-directed foreign over-sized lorry!).

    ReplyDelete