Monday 18 November 2013

AUTUMNAL



"Why are you taking photographs of some soggy old leaves...?"

Not an unreasonable question, I thought, under the circumstances and given the situation where that big silver BMW really, really wanted to park in the spot in which I was standing, and risk running over the toes which had slid so carelessly into the edge of the frame, but the combination of those golden colours fading as they rotted into the roadside mud was just far too irresistible to me, even though I'd have preferred it if there had been more of a "carpet" of leaves filling my lens in an almost "screen saver" manner, and it hadn't been quite such a grim and soggy autumnal afternoon.

Still, I swiftly clicked my shutter a moment before that big silver bumper slid into the shot and then, perhaps unbelievably, I waved an apologetic hand at the driver who seemed so eager to flatten me, and trudged away through the leaves and the mud and the puddles reflecting upon my own passivity in the face (or rear axle) of adversity.

Ah, Autumn!

Sometimes, on those all-too-few crisp and gloriously fresh, bright days, the colours are just so tempting, and you want to do your level best to do them justice, but most of the time the weather is just too damp and miserable, and that's a part of autumn that we ought to recognise, too...


2 comments: