Wednesday 13 November 2013

HOLMESIAN TWEETS



One of the strange side-effects of having been listening to various Sherlock Holmes stories in the car over these past few months is how regularly the strange influence of Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle's prose has crept into my daily word game contributions. These are the daily mental puzzles where people not unlike myself attempt to wrangle an obscure word into a hopefully at least mildly entertaining phrase to share with our fellow wordsmiths.

And why, pray, would I want to involve myself in such a nefarious business...?

"Because it's rather a jolly thing to do, and playing around with words is a jolly fine pastime, too..." as the awful poet once wrote...

Yes, I flippin' well did.

Not only that, but they've kind of kept me sane - or at least as close as I ever get - recently...

When I actually checked back, of course, there were far fewer of them than I remembered, but these Sherlock Holmes themed Tweets have been a "thing" that I've been trying lately, and here are some of them...


"If we go down these stairs, we may discover a cryptarchy"
"Under a church? You do surprise me Holmes! And stop calling me Archie."

"Watson! Come quick! Either this loaf is a naan sequitur, or it's been stepped upon by an elephant!" said Holmes.

"The jewel thieves used a trained cormorant, Watson!" Holmes exulted "and I restored it to its owner by means of a roborant."

"Watson! You become more refulgent each day!" exclaimed Holmes, "It's entirely down to my influence, of course..."

"I perceive, Watson, that the victim was something of a hypergelast" observed Holmes studiously. "He was tickled to death..."

"Show this tremulous creature to the door, Watson" said Holmes contemptuously, "his crimes have found their own just reward..."

"This Vagary Gang may be unique in the annals of crime, Watson!" said Holmes sulkily. "Got you stumped, have they?" I replied.

"Ah!" said Holmes "Inspector Simian, the long arms of the law...!"

"How did you deduce that he was not a charity collector?" "Eleemosynary, my dear Watson..."

"Really, Holmes! How could you have possibly known that?" I ejaculated. He sat back, touched his screen and said "Telemetry..."

A Study in Chardonnay; The Stein of Four; The Valley of Beer (Not to mention "The Winecase-book of Sherlock Holmes")

+LESTRADE+STOP+ +BODY+IN+LOCKED+ROOM+KILLED+BY+ICICLE+IN+THERMOS+STOP+ +AFFECTIONATELY+YOURS+STOP+SHERLOCK+E.O.M.+

"The Speckled Band" is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic tale of a Victorian woman encountering a crotaline whilst in her crinolines.

"Madame Culacino has been up to no good, Watson!" cried Holmes triumphantly, "There are the marks of a moist lass on this surface!"

Holmes reached for the Persian slipper, saying "It's apocope, my dear - what...?" but he was interrupted as his pipe exploded.

2 comments:

  1. H.O.L.M.E.S. was, and is used by the police forces across the country. It stands fro Home Office Large Major Enquiry System. Seems appropriate, somehow!

    ReplyDelete