Wednesday 6 November 2013

STONE STEPS

Another in this brief series of pictures taken on a rare sunshiny day around where I live.

It might seem odd then that this makes me think of the deep mid winter, but it does.

(Apologies, but I needed to indulge myself there. Any sentence that includes the "then that this" triptych is almost guaranteed to be a thing of beauty...)

Once upon a long ago, in the depths of winter, as I headed out to the station on a cold, dark evening to meet my Beloved, I fell the full length of these stone steps on my back having slipped on a patch of ice at the top...

Happily, because I was wearing my thickest winter coat to protect me, nothing was broken and my dignity remained intact due to a lack of witnesses (which may have been more of a problem if I'd ended up lying there senseless), even if I did develop some "interesting looking" bruises over the course of the few days afterwards.

Anyway, a flight of stone steps.

Disrespect them at your peril...

2 comments:

  1. Stone steps can be lethal. I had a friend who took a similar tumble, down similar steps just over a year ago; he hit his head. Sadly nobody noticed him for four hours, by which point it was too late. Such a horribly senseless way to lose a wonderfully talented designer and thoroughly decent man: I still can’t believe he’s gone. Icy steps are deadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody hell, that IS tragic...

      Perhaps I ought not to tell you the sad tale of my current morning routine then, as I had planned to, especially as the cold is returning...

      Delete