Sunday 4 August 2013

TWELFTH NIGHT

You know, I tried telling myself that I wouldn't be bothered, that whoever they chose would be good, and that in a few weeks it wouldn't really matter how soon I had known about it...

Whatever happened, once the decision was made, I'd know soon enough and there was more than enough time for me to get used to the idea and I'd probably come around to the idea eventually even if, initially, I thought it was a dreadful one.

Over the course of the last few weeks, despite being terribly anxious that someone who turned out to be a really bad idea might get chosen, I'd tried to remain open-minded, but, well, when names like Peter Capaldi were thrown into the mix I'd think "Oh yes! He'd be good!" only to think "Oh yes! She'd be good!" when someone else mentioned Sue Perkins... and then think "Oh he'd be great!" when Andrew Scott gets mentioned.

But then...

When I heard that there was going to be "an announcement" at 00:00 on Friday morning, I got myself into such a state that I couldn't sleep and found myself lying there wide awake and waiting for the Twitter feeds to simply read what was merely "an announcement of an announcement" about which the gaffe had already been blown a few hours earlier anyway.

But I couldn't take the risk that they might have just told everyone at midnight and I would have been fast asleep and not knowing when everyone else did...

And I am someone who really didn't give much of a rat's kidney about when the Royal Offspring was delivered a couple of weeks ago...

So, Sunday evening will bring along with it a live television programme to make the announcement and I find myself getting jittery all over again. In the morning, I watch BBC Breakfast as they've got previous form on blowing the gaffe, given that they slipped Matt Smith into their montage four years ago when nobody seemed to be talking about him.

On that theory alone, it's going to be Daniel Rigby, then...

Still, who knows?

The answer will come soon enough, I guess. Indeed, within eleven hours the world will know and all of this speculation will be over. Whether the nation will have right of veto, given the unique way in which the BBC is funded is unlikely, but I have to trust the fact that wiser heads than mine will have made the right decision and that I've now got a while to get used to the idea and come to terms with the fact that whoever it is, whether I think so or not, is probably going to be superb.

Update: 7:30PM...

It's only Peter Capaldi... Yay!!!

2 comments:

  1. Of course... not EVERYONE took it so well...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d8kn5hApg

    "F***ity bye!" ...classic.

    ReplyDelete