Monday 26 August 2013

LOCATION, LOCATION

The question is...

Can I still actually type on this thing?

Well, perhaps it's not so much the question, but it certainly is a question...

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Perhaps I ought to explain...

I've had to dig out my dodgiest, oldest relic of a computer (It's slow, it's chunky, it's really very clunky...) for the duration. Ah...! "The duration of what?" I hear you ask.

Well, it's like this. The builders are coming! The builders are coming! (Don't worry, they're here!) and, because two of our five rooms are going to be unavailable for a while as they get the much overdue TLC they have so desperately needed for a dozen years or more, all of the junk and clobber from those two rooms has had to be redistributed amongst the other three, and we have had to abandon the primary bedchamber and regroup in the auxiliary one, in a not-quite "USS Enterprise" kind of a way.

This means that the bright lights and tappity-tap-tapping of the computer upon which I usually write to you, my dear universe, would not go down too well in the wee small hours when all the sane folk (most especially the beloved) are a-slumbering right next to where I normally do my insane night time keyboarding, and I have had to escape to otherwhere in order to indulge my morning fix of wordsmithery.

Which has meant resurrecting the coal-fired relic upon which I'm now trying to write.

Oh! The poor, much maligned creature! Once upon a time it used to be the fastest processor on the block and its days and evenings were spent helping me to create the wittiest, sharpest dialogue which never got performed.

We were, if not exactly inseparable, well...

Let's just say that we spent a lot of time in each other's company, albeit mostly to little avail.

But then shinier boxes turned up with their snappy, distracting new ways, and this old relic was cast aside and consigned to the darkness with just occasional battery charges whenever I remembered it was there. Sweeping vistas of bloggery were churned out upon other, chunkier keyboards, as this little box of tricks could only watch in neither awe nor wonder and ask itself "But what about the plays...?"

We were happy together, of course, but I'm so easily distracted, and yet, here we are, together again, for old times' sake, sitting together churning out a different (and perhaps slower) kind of nonsense as the plaster dust settles around us upon each and every surface.

I suppose that this is my oblique way of saying that normal service might be a bit hit and miss over the next few days, because it takes my little tiny brain a while to make the astounding leap from device to device, despite the fact that QWERTY is still in the same order and the site software looks much the same.

In many ways I dislike switching computers because I like the familiarity of what I'm used to. I like to feel as if I'm coming home when I switch on and that everything is where I left it, although, given the current state of my little house, perhaps that's not the best of analogies...

No comments:

Post a Comment