Friday 9 August 2013

THE WITCH IS BACK

A couple of years ago (although it seems far less) I posted a story about "The Wicked Witch of the Woods" on Halloween night 2011 (http://m-a-w-h.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/wicked-witch-of-woods.html) based upon the very eerie sensations I felt after spotting a shape in the woods near to Newborough beach on Anglesey which looked (to me at least) remarkably like a witch crouched down over her cauldron and ready to cast a wicked spell.

So far, so many vivid imaginings...

Still, maybe it's only I that can see it...? Everyone else might just see a clump of old roots and find that there's nothing unusual about that... The mind is, after all, very good at playing tricks and we do like to form patterns that sometimes aren't really there.

Rather strangely, however, I found myself in those very same woods last week,  two years later, and at one point, I looked up and there she was again, as captured in the new picture attached which I found a little bit odd given the passage of time and the general erosion which normally happens to organic matter in an outdoors environment.

Odd, but not unusual.

However, having partially completed the "Saints, Sea and Sand" route of the walk options at this rather fine beach area which has, incidentally, had a bit of an impressive makeover this year, we found ourselves with a couple of hours to fill and decided to try out the "Nature Trail" as well, some of which uses exactly the same route as the trail we had previously walked and during which I had snapped my snapshot.

Only this time, not two hours later, I couldn't see this hunched up old witch anywhere at all... She had vanished back into whatever dark realms she normally inhabits having reminded me once again of her disturbing existence...

He shuddered...

2 comments:

  1. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason it reminds me of the 'beast' in Lord of the Flies - creepy anyway...

    ReplyDelete