Saturday 17 August 2013

THIS YEAR'S PEBBLE SHOT

Every year, whenever I find myself standing upon a particularly stony beach, this is what I do.

I point my camera straight down at the ground, focus it, frame it up so that the entire frame is filled with pebbles, and take a picture.

I don't really know why I do it, to be perfectly honest with you, only that I do.

Perhaps once upon a time I thought that it might make a nice desktop pattern for the computer, or maybe it was a desktop pattern option on my computer that made me think of it, it's very hard to be sure, and I do know that I've never actually used any of these pictures as a desktop pattern since I've started taking them, so it probably wasn't worth mentioning, really...

I know that one of the thoughts that sometimes flashes through my mind as I'm taking some of my inept little snapshots is "Texture!" and I do have an awful lot of very dull photographs of things which I can only put down to having had that thought at the moment I took the shot.

You see, the old graphic artist in me might rarely carry a sketchbook around with me these days, but I do sometimes use my camera as a sort of sketchbook to inspire all of those painting which I never get around to painting, so maybe, when a nice texture catches my eye, I'm drawn to it more by instinct than anything else...

Or perhaps it's just vanity...?

Whenever we "go through" the pictures "on screen" after a holiday is over, it's always been this kind of shot that has drawn out the comments like "That's nice!" or "Oh, I like that!" and we all need to grab whatever admiration that we can from wherever it may come from, even if we can only get it by cheating...

Still... Here's this year's picture of some pebbles on a beach...

I hope you like it as much as I do...

2 comments:

  1. Off to take a few pebble shots of my own... and i have a sketch book. i wonder if this time i'll actually get around to do some sketching. Maybe a new pencil will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re not alone, I often do something not entirely divergent; I look down and take a similar photograph my shoes (while I’m still wearing them, of course) in a photograph with the background texture of wherever I happen to be visiting, often I include some small and entirely out of place brightly contrasting object, usually something I’ve found. A sort of record, I suppose, that my shoes have been there; like you I also have no idea why I keep doing this, but it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete