Monday 28 May 2012

SMALL MOMENTS (1)

Sometimes, the very nicest moment of the day is that one where, having navigated my way through the morning traffic, found a parking spot and negotiated my way through the tricky security systems of our little office building, I’ve nipped into the kitchenette, clicked on the kettle and am waiting to taste that very first cup of coffee of the day.

Modern life, even one as simply structured as mine is by comparison to the madness others describe to me, is all about those little routines, the basic superstructure of a day which holds things together.

As the kettle boils away to itself, I will head off down the corridor, unlock the office, switch on the lights and open the shutters. Then I will adjust the blinds so that they are “just so” and I am able to experience the daylight but not feel that I am under observation. After that I will unpack my lunch from out of my bag, plug in the old portable teffalone to charge it up, and check it for any overnight emails before attempting to launch the rinky-dinky computer in order to get it up and running for my latest day in the wacky world of being something closely resembling a “designer”.

Once all of the passwords are tappity-tapped (usually twice – somehow it always objects to my first attempt), I will launch the more vital of the software packages and only then will I pick up my huge mug – long (and not very interesting) story - and take it, as well as the most currently active of the jars of coffee, along to the kitchen to rinse it out.

By then the kettle will be almost boiled and so, once I’ve tracked down a spoon, the coffee will go into the cup and I will explore the fridge in the hope that someone hasn’t swiped our milk overnight and, with any luck, add a dollop of it to the coffee in my mug and wait for that oh-so-satisfying click of the kettle, and that sweet pour with the most revitalizing of aromas.

After that, it is just a swift  stroll back to my desk, being careful not to leave the jar in any of the public areas from where it might get filched, and I can sit down to take that first sip of the morning which finally means that the day has truly begun.

Sometimes you really do have to just take a moment to wake up and smell the coffee.

4 comments:

  1. I've got that exact huge mug too. I can't remember where it came from. Where did it come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a "freebie" that came with some "sporty" stuff that was ordered online - not by me, I hasten to add...

      Delete
    2. ...and as to where it came from, I really don't have a clue... Perhaps some kind of vague clue in the design of it might have helped with that...?

      Delete
  2. I'll put the kettle on.

    ReplyDelete