Tuesday 15 May 2012

"IN MY WAY!" AGAIN

It’s not just in matters of photography where people get “In My Way!” as the saying goes, but in all sorts of other areas of life. This can, of course, become irritating from time-to-time, but, whilst I am likely as not to chunner about it to you lot, I am less than inclined in life to  have any moments of confrontation and instead I shall either internalise such things or rage and rant about them at a safe distance.

After all, falling out with those who live closest to you is not the best way to go about getting yourself a peaceful and relaxed existence, is it?

And it seems that it’s not just me, as a note written in bold handwriting in thick black marker pen which I saw sitting upon my neighbour’s dashboard recently proved.

Perhaps I need to explain the geography of the situation before I go any further. I live in a battered Victorian terraced house in the back of beyond. At the front of the house is a paved pathway which runs the full length of the row of houses and separates us from our front gardens but which provides access to all of the houses in the row. At the end of this path is a flight of stone steps down which I have been known to plummet on icy mornings which leads down to the main road that passes the front of the houses and which is where I nowadays have to park my car, if there are any spaces left when I get home. Often there are far too many cars for the number of houses involved and so they are regularly “In My Way!”

The back of the row of houses is accessed by a narrow cobbled ramp which leads down from the road that passes along the far end of our back gardens. The ramp finishes just about level with the back of my house so that mine, and all of the houses to the left of it have no space to park at the back. At the bottom of the ramp, a narrow lane passes along the rest of the row to an open area at the far end of the terrace, at which  there is a largish communal area for general parking and turning round purposes.

The lane is just about wide enough for people to park one car at the back of their own house and still allow other cars to get by alongside them, reach the end of the row, and turn around as required.

This usually means that, even if there are no spaces available to park at the back of your own house, you can at least unload your shopping, head off to the end, turn around and chance your arm back down on the main road.

Or at least you used to.

There was once a tacit agreement that the houses without space at the back of their own houses would be able to park in the communal area, and that those with space at the back of their own houses would park there.

This of course was in the days when most homes only had one car to drive.

Nowadays, this is no longer the case and, because some houses have several, they tend to use the “first come, first served” policy of grabbing a parking spot and hanging on to it for grim death.

Fair enough. That’s the law of the jungle, matey.

So be it.

But in recent months, the laws of basic common sense seem to have been chucked out of the window too. More often than not, even though there are no spaces left, one or two of them have just taken to leaving their cars anywhere in that space and, presumably, trusting to blind luck that no-one else will need to go anywhere before they do.

Again, good luck to them. I long ago relinquished any notions that I might have had in getting the chance to park there almost as soon as it became clear that I was going to be going out to work again instead of working from home.

But the annoying thing is, as my neighbour’s note (remember that?) seems to prove, that this laissez faire approach to parking has the consequence that, even if you just want to unload a bit of shopping or, say, something more bulky from IKEA, it is now almost impossible to go to the end of the row, turn around and get out again.

Her note apologised for leaving her car in everyone’s way but explained that she sometimes found it very difficult to turn her car around so, if anyone did wish to get past, they would need to knock on her door and ask.

I wonder how that went down...?

The thing is that it really shouldn’t be a difficult problem to solve. All it really needs is a bit of give and take and a smattering of common sense. However, we don’t seem to live in that kind of culture, do we boys and girls…?

Anyway, if I ever get a chance to talk to any of my neighbours in the near future (and, let’s be honest, who does these days?), I’ll let you know if there are any developments.

5 comments:

  1. Our lives are far too parallel Martin. I am at this very moment in a parking cone war with my neighbours of 25 years. They have decided to destroy the look of the frontage of their fine Victorian town house by ripping out the hedge, smashing down the heavy stone wall and opening it up as a car parking space. One thing here - they have told me that they have intention of using the space to park (it is a little too narrow anyway) but have done all of this so they can get a white line to stop others parking outside their property. Whilst all this is going on they are coning off huge swathes of parking so that various vans can get access to their house.

    Now of course access for tradesmen is one thing, but when they coned off outside my home so that their son and daughter in law, who were visiting, could park when they arrived I decided that they might be a little on the taking the piss side - particularly as they asked my wife to put out the cones.

    As yet their curb has not been lowered, so really all they have is a hole in the wall, but that bloody woman next door caused a very unpleasant scene the other evening when a stranger parked outside her house. She stuck stickers on the front and back window of the poor woman's car,waited for her to come back, and then pounced. She then proceeded to tear the poor young woman off a strip for parking over her drive (hole in the wall).

    So not only are they obstructing the highway with their cones they are lording it over all and sundry with me being very obviously sundry.

    We are the edge of really falling out over all of this as I am nearing the end of my very long tether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am rather glad that I gave you the opportunity to "vent" today.

      I did rather wonder whether my own offering this morning (and indeed yesterday) were just a tad too "domestic" for the wild, surreal and wacky world of bloggerage.

      It just goes to show... Everything's relevant, everything's essential and everything matters.

      Delete
  2. AnonymousMay 15, 2012

    Wow! To akh! I do feel for you and your situation. It seems that no one has the right to park outside their own property. It is just a common courtesy that most people stick to.
    As to the lack of dropped kerbs, until your neighbour has them they are committing an offence every time they drive across the pavement. They have to apply for a permit from the local council to get permission to have dropped kerbs (£170 ish), and it will cost the best part of £2,000 to get the job done. Until the kerbs are dropped she cannot complain about people blocking her non-existant driveway!
    Neighbours like that no one needs in their life.
    I am lucky that the only time I had a problem parking outside my place (when I still had a car) was when we had snow for a week and the village turned into a car park, which was quite understandable, under the circumstances.
    Great topic, Martin, and obviously pushed a few buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 15, 2012

    Ours is the middle of three converging drives so we don't have any kerb space outside our house but this wasn't always the case. The neighbours to the right politely asked us if they could put in a driveway that converged with our "dip" and as it extended to some way along the kerb front of their garden there didn't seem to be a problem. Previously their much shorter drive had been around the corner. A few months ago I parked on the road outside their house while we were trying to clear snow from our drive, only to hear the same neighbour venting off to his wife about the "sheer bloody cheek" I had parking in "his" space on the road.
    We have two cars which we always park on our own drive to help alleviate a little of the general parking chaos that goes on at the end of our close. Our complaining neighbour has four. Kettle black anyone?
    GRRRrrrr!

    Seems like this is a common problem Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hide all your rants here, folks! Where nobody will ever see them, guaranteed...!

    ReplyDelete