Thursday 17 May 2012

2SHY2

It’s all very well droning on in these pages about the big stuff, all those things about which I know very little, but just enough to fill a page or two which is of little interest to anyone who’s not really interested, and even less so to those that are, because they already know about that stuff anyway. Sometimes you need to get back to the basics, that fundamental sense of asking yourself “what’s it all for?” and realise that what you really, really need to do is write about what you feel for a little while at least, until you (and your diminishing audience no doubt) tire of that too and move on to something else instead.

Today, I’m thinking about regrets.

You know those things about which there supposed to be too few to mention… Well, believe me, I’ve got lots and, whilst most of the time they lie buried in the back of my mind and seldom trouble me, occasionally they will just bubble up to the surface like a weighted cadaver in a murder mystery and get spotted by a passing early morning dog walker and bump the plot in a new and unexpected direction.

Most of my regrets, however, are not big or life changing. I seldom feel that “I wish I’d done this, or that, or the other…” In many ways I’m pretty content with how things have turned out so far, but that notion that “I wouldn’t change a thing” is an ideal that, I think, is always likely to escape me. I do occasionally want to crawl under a rock with shame and embarrassment over one or two of the more crass things that I’ve said or done, but I don’t imagine that there’s anyone ever who hasn’t said something that they wish they hadn’t or done something that they shouldn’t, and I’m pretty sure there are people who’ve done far more of far worse than I ever did, so none of that kind of thinking is all that original.

I think my biggest regret is the number of close friendships that I’ve allowed to just slip away to nothing. Friendships formed in the crucibles of the nursery or schoolrooms, friendships formed in the fiery furnaces of further education and the workplace, and those friendships formed out of adversity and even the ones formed through mutual interest have somehow all managed to be allowed to slip away from me and lie fallow and eventually fade to almost nothingness where, I imagine, I hardly warrant the occasional slightly fond memory.

This, of course, I can and will, put down to those crippling dual curses of self-doubt and shyness which, whilst I know very few people actually admit to having them, I’m actually rather sure more people do suffer from than we’d like to think. Perhaps they’re just better at hiding them than I am, or are more prepared to work at it than I ever was, in my defeatist, self-destructive way.

I have, after all, usually (although less so recently) always found it relatively easy to get along with people when I see them every day, but whenever I move on, whilst the effort is still made for a while, I find that being “out of the loop” for even the briefest of time adds a whole new level of self-doubt and awkwardness to the situation which makes me dither and doubt and start to wonder whether they would really be still interested in actually spending time talking to me any more and even something so very simple as making a telephone call can suddenly become this massive mountain to climb, and, as time passes, the vast open plains that open up between us atop that mountain mean that it’s seldom a journey I feel I can even begin to make the first step on any more.

Then, some more time passes, and then some more, and the crippling embarrassment of suddenly ringing up out of the blue at precisely the wrong moment when it’s really not convenient, or they have guests around, or their third child is in the process of being born, probably when I didn’t even know about the first two, combined with that dreadful, dreadful sense that other people really do seem able to “move on” just makes rebuilding those bridges almost impossible to achieve and then months and years and decades go by and you find that those people who were once your closest friends are now people you don’t even share those four little words “All the best, M” with on an annual Christmas card any more…

This is where the regrets start to happen, and, to a lesser extent, the bitterness and the pain that I’m almost (but not quite) too shy to mention. After all, it was always supposed to be a two-way street, wasn’t it…? If I’m feeling so guilty at the loss, then why aren’t they? Is their life now so full and interesting that they don’t have a tiny little place in it for someone thy once considered to be a friend…? Have I really become known amongst that clan, as the one they call “the forgotten man”…?

Or perhaps they too believe that the mountains are too high, the plateaus too wide, or far too much water has flowed under way too many bridges, that the simple act of making that call would just prove to be far too awkward, far too stilted and just prove without doubt that we really do have nothing in common any more.

Perhaps that’s it. Perhaps that’s what we really want to cling on to. If we don’t finally find out to the contrary, perhaps we still feel that there is just the slightest spark of a latent friendship somewhere out there in the darkness, just waiting to be rekindled…

So, if you really want to, call me. I’d really like it if you did, even if there’s a certain amount of crushing embarrassment at the start of the call as I try and work out just who you are, what your life was doing when we last met, and whether I’m about to inadvertently drop a huge clanger by saying something crass or inappropriate because I know nothing about what has happened to you since. If you can put up with all that, then feel free. The most recent number you have is probably still the correct one. As you have no doubt already worked out, it’s not as if I’ve managed to move on in any real sense since we last met, is it?

After all, you know me well enough to know by now that I’m far too shy and broken to ever summon up enough courage to call you…

6 comments:

  1. I have a regret list as long as your proverbial arm and each day seems to bring a new one. I've just replied to another blogging friend and I know that I shall live to regret my response.

    To live without regret is probably not to have lived at all. After all, the only way to avoid them is to do nothing. Those people who say 'I have no regrets' are either lying, pollyanna's, stupid, or insufferably insensitive to others.

    I'd like a few less regrets, a few less reasons to internally blush when I think of some of the things I've done. But regret is probably better than the alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put...

      As ever, regrettably, there's little that I can add except to say that I agree with your assessment.

      And I regret that (as you will have seen above, I hope) I couldn't have put it quite so well myself. :-(

      Delete
  2. I feel exactly the same. I am ashamed by the way I have lost touch with so many relatives who were once so close and important to me during difficult times. To me, this is even worse than losing touch with friends. I am full of guilt which has prevented me for many years from facing the embarrassment of making that phone call. Recently, an elderly uncle became ill and this prompted me to spend more time with him which brought me into contact with some of my long lost relatives. It was awkward and embarrassing to admit that we knew nothing about each other's lives since our last meeting about twenty years earlier. Whole families had grown and started families of their own. I was so relieved to be able to break the ice and it was obvious that all parties felt the same way. We have swapped up-to-date contact details and have committed to 'keep in touch'. Your piece has reminded me that the phone call is already overdue.
    By the way, I love the "weighted cadaver" analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see... It's not just me...!

      It still surprises me that, in this modern society that we have built for ourselves, in which we can communicate so very much more easily than we ever could, so many of us still find it so very difficult to actually do so.

      Thank you for the kind words, and good luck with your new-found channels of communication.

      Delete
  3. I rarely call anyone unless it's for work or urgent. I remember times when friends would phone up every week or so for a chat, but that never happens now. I suspect most of us regret losing the people we liked but didn't keep in touch with, until one day it just became too awkward and too late.

    I remember when it was normal for me to go and stay with friends in other cities, but that now seems to require a huge amount of energy, organisation and social skill that I no longer have.

    Ah well, at least I get a cheap phone contract....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This topic does seem to have got a few people thinking this morning, which is, I suppose, what I've always hoped for with my scribbling - er, keyboarding - down of these humble meanderings through my mind, so that's nice :-)

      I miss having these kinds of discussions... Maybe I should phone a few more people up...?

      Delete